This is one of my absolute favorite photos!  The photo was shot by Elleri and it was one of the first images taken with my new DSLR camera back in May 2011.  This was photo number three in the stage of:  pull the camera out of the box and snap those first images to see what the quality difference would be with a DSLR camera versus our small point and shoot cameras.

On May 21, 2012 I posted about a project using an engineering print of a family photo.  Today’s project is similar – this time using a 15 x 12 print via Staples.  Translation:  a large oversize print on paper that resembles copy paper from your typical printer.  The cost for the print was 66 cents!  The drawback is the images are black and white.   Of course I could print in color using a traditional photo printing service or I could invest more at Staples for a color version.

I used my jigsaw to cut a piece of scrap wood and painted it with a sponge brush using acrylic black paint after discovering spray paint (my usual choice!) wouldn’t adhere well to the texture of this scrap wood.  Using a can of spray adhesive, I attached the engineering photo print paper to the wood.  During the May 21 project I used Mod Podge to attach the print to the wood; but given the bumpy texture of my base today I selected spray adhesive for this attempt.  The outcome was smooth (pun intended).  The bumps arrived when I applied a layer of Mod Podge as a sealer on top of the print as a final step.  After drying overnight most disappeared.  Next time I create a project like this I plan to use a spray polyurethane as the sealing step or topcoat.  I will come up with the “best practices” for this type of project and post soon.  I love the possibilities of perfecting the formula.  Giant oversize photo prints simply rock!

It is nearly as big as this window!